Sunday, September 9, 2012

Can decades of dietary abuse be reversed in just 4 months? (by Lynne)

This weekend marks my 4-month "Veganniversary" so I got a health check yesterday to compare my numbers. Here are the results:
  • 25 lbs weight loss
  • No longer "Pre-diabetic" (Glucose dropped a whopping 26 points to now only 84!)
  • BMI no longer obese (down 4 points)
  • Blood Pressure now normal
  • LDL (bad) cholesterol now normal 
This was all accomplished thru food changes alone! (NO exercise, NO prescription drugs or supplements). So, what has this 120-day experiment taught me?
  • Food is the most powerful "drug" we can put into our bodies...period! 
  • Food can help or harm me-- I am 100% responsible for that decision!
  • I don't have to exercise, starve, or feel deprived to lose weight
  • Type II Diabetes is avoidable & completely preventable

In the past 120 days, I've followed the "Eat to Live" guidelines pretty closely and have a good mix of veggies, fruits, beans, nuts, and whole grains daily.  I've eliminated (or highly restricted) all meats, fish, dairy, sodium, oils, and processed/refined foods from my diet to maintain control over excess calories and cravings, but if there's a special day when I want something from that list, I have it.  I simply no longer make a habit of it.  

This feeling of now having complete control over my hunger and cravings is perhaps the biggest gift of this new way of living.  When I used to eat out of boxes and fast-food drive-thru lanes, I was continually hungry and felt completely helpless to control my weight or worsening health metrics.

My next focus is to add some fun and moderate exercise into my daily routine (to keep the weight loss going at a good pace, and to improve my final 2 metrics-- HDL and Trigs).

That... and finding clothes that fit :-)

Lynne

4 comments:

  1. Hurray Lynne! That's all tremendous news! Maybe I should hit a Walgreen's for some discount numbers.

    I agree about the cravings. And, about finding new clothes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job! I totally agree with you on food being the best medicine. As far as the trig's numbers - breads, pasta and sugar will raise them. I eat gluten and wheat free - too much data lately about wheat causing problems and I do it to control my psoriasis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty much gluten/wheat-free as well, but I did some more research and looks like my Trig is just "slightly elevated" and likely more a result of a lack of exercise and too much fruit. So, I'm not going to stress out about it too much.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic progress, Lynne!!! Well done! Well done!

    ReplyDelete