Sunday, June 17, 2012

Lowest of the Low? (by Evelyn)



Calories that is.  I’ve eaten and loved Russian Borscht, made with beets and red cabbage,  for years.  Traditionally, it is served with a dollop of sour cream on top but just leave it off for a healthy and hearty meal of only 57 calories!  Can you believe something can be that  low in calories?  There’s a Borscht recipe in the Weight Watchers Cookbook with 74 calories which I at first thought must be a mistake.  So I used a recipe calorie calculator on my version and came up with 57.
Another very low calorie dish is Gazpacho Soup, basically made with tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, green peppers, vinegar, water, and garlic.  This one comes in around 50 calories for 2 cups but I haven’t made it so won’t post the recipe yet.  I think this might make a good juice in the blender too.  Maybe add a dash of cayenne pepper.

Evelyn

2 comments:

  1. I put horseradish on borscht rather than sour cream. Really kicks it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea - will have to try that. Thx.

    ReplyDelete